Updated May 23, 2018
WHAT IS PERSONAL DATA?
According to the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation definition (Chapter 1, Article 4), personal data is:
…any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.
INFORMATION COLLECTION AND USE
Personal Data is collected and stored only if you purchase Applications, request a trial period, activate your license or subscribe to our newsletter. Depending on the action you take, we store the name and email address that you provide us with, your Internet Protocol (IP) address, macOS version and hardware identifier (a string compiled from your computer serial number, hardware universally unique identifier and computer name). We never get access to, process or store your payment details (credit card number, PayPal account details, etc.).
Applications can only be used if activated for trial period or with purchased license. To perform Applications activation we must generate a unique activation key. This key is generated personally for you and your Mac computer, compiled into a form or activation link and sent to your email.
As a part of the product experience, we will send you a reminder to the email address you have provided once your Applications trial period is complete. We do it to make sure you are aware that your trial period is over, help you get the information you might need about Applications or contact our support.
When you purchase and/or activate your Applications license, we may send you onboarding emails and updates to enhance your experience. The name provided by you can be used to personalize the onboarding emails.
We may also use the stored personal data to reply to your customer support requests, to send you product updates, or to communicate with you concerning other important Applications related issues.
We may occasionally send you marketing information when we have assessed that it is beneficial to you as a client and is in our interests. When you have consented to us providing you with promotional offers and marketing newsletters, you are free to withdraw this consent at any time. There is an easy to find Opt-Out link in the emails you may receive from us.
ANONYMOUS DATA AND COOKIES
A cookie (web cookie) is a small piece of data sent to your browser and stored on the hard drive of your computer. Every time you access a website on the Internet, your browser sends some basic data. Including your IP address, operating system version, browser type and version, preferred language, stored cookies and some other data. You can refer to your browser vendor to find more details about what data is being sent.
We use the anonymous information and cookies sent by your browser to collect internal statistical data. We also use third party software and services such as Google Analytics and Facebook Analytics to collect anonymous information on the usage of Applications website. We do that to better understand our visitors’ interaction with the Website and to optimize the user experience.
In our email communications, we may use other technologies like “pixel tags” and “click-through URLs” in order to determine if an email has been opened and which links have been clicked. This way, we can determine and improve the effectiveness of our communications. Pixel tags are small images shown inside an HTML email; you can disable tracking by disabling HTML in your email client. A link with a click-through URL, when clicked, first sends the user to a web server which records the click, and then to the link’s destination.
THIRD PARTY SERVICES
- After the purchase is complete, we receive your name, email and order information (order identifier, payment amount, coupon code, discount). We never get access to your payment details (credit card number, PayPal account details, etc.).
- Other stores and resellers
- You can also purchase Applications from other stores like MacUpdate.com.
- Unlike the integrated FastSpring store on our website, other stores run on their own websites. Please see their own respective privacy policies and user agreements. If you purchase Applications via these stores, we are only provided with your name and email to generate a license key.
- Google Analytics and Facebook Analytics
- Our website may contain tracking codes from Google Analytics and Facebook Analytics. These third party services provide us with strictly anonymous information on the usage of Applications website.
OTHER WEBSITES AND LINKS
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under 16, we will promptly delete this information. Parents or guardians can contact us at [email protected]
You have the right to access any Personal Data that we process about you and request information about:
- What personal data we hold about you;
- Purposes of the processing;
- The categories of personal data concerned;
- The recipients to whom the personal data has been/will be disclosed;
- How long we intend to store your personal data for;
- If we did not collect the data directly from you, information about the source;
- If you believe that we hold any incomplete or inaccurate data about you, you have the right to ask us to correct and/or complete the information, and we will strive to do so as quickly as possible, unless there is a valid reason for not doing so, at which point you will be notified.
- You also have the right to be forgotten of your personal data or to restrict processing (where applicable) in accordance with the data protection laws; as well as to object to any direct marketing from us.
Accordingly, you have the right to request access to your data or to instruct us to remove data permanently from our systems by contacting us at [email protected]
Where applicable, you have the right to data portability of your information and the right to be informed about any automated decision-making we may use. If we receive a request from you to exercise any of the above rights, we may ask you to verify your identity before acting on the request — this is to ensure that your data is protected and kept secure.
As a controller of MacPlus Software customers’ personal data, we recognize our responsibility to respect privacy rights and put in place appropriate standards of data protection.
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a new European privacy regulation which will replace the current EU Data Protection Directive (Directive 95/46/EC). The GDPR aims to strengthen the security and protection of personal data in the EU and harmonize EU data protection law. One of the key aspects is that GDPR creates consistency across EU member states on how personal data can be processed, used, and exchanged securely.
We comply with the GDPR on a continual basis (because we hold and process personal data of EU residents) by implementing and regularly reviewing robust technical and organizational measures, as well as compliance policies.
We use third party services to process personal data that we may collect. And to comply with the GDPR requirements, we have Data Processing Agreements (DPA) in place with all such third party services we use.
CONFIDENTIALITY AND SECURITY
All communications between your web browser and our Website, as well as between Applications and our servers, are secured by strong SSL encryption. The access to Personal Data is restricted to employees directly involved in customer support or analytics who are trained to observe strict standards of confidentiality and respect.
QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS